Wednesday, June 25, 2008

girl detectives

Photobucket
I just received the sweetest treat from one of my sisters - a vintage Trixie Belden book (The Mystery Off Glen Road). I couldn't find a cool cover shot of that one, so
I just went with the Mystery on Cobbett's Island, which is my very favorite Trixie book. Trixie Belden was a huge part of my childhood. In third grade I found a copy of Trixie Belden and the Mysterious Code in my school library. Read it, loved it, and noticed that it was number seven in a series. My little school library didn't have any other Trixie books, so thus began my sporadic pilgrimages to the closet bookstore (some crappy Waldenbooks-type mall store) with pockets full of saved up coins to buy more Trixie.

I'd already read Nancy Drew, and while I appreciated Nancy, with her dreamy boyfriend Ned and her cute little roadster and her perfect titian hair, she was no Trixie. I don't know how many times I've reread the books now. I do know that I used to pretend that I lived in the Hudson Valley on Crabapple Farm and solved mysteries.

No comments: