Tuesday, June 19, 2007

so maybe no more thomas hardy

I read my first Thomas Hardy words about ten years ago. Return of the Native. I fell in love (seriously, I changed all of my passwords to Eustacia1... they have since been changed...just in case) and swore to ration his words out so I would never be all Hardy'ed out. At that time in my life I thought that meant a novel a year (I guess I was counting on the poems to get me through old age...and middle age... well, there are a lot of poems). God, I loved Eustacia Vye so much.

So I kept reading...Jude, Tess, the Mayor, the Madding Crowd, and then Two on a Tower. Two on a Tower was the one that did it. Swithin. Lady Constantine. God, couldn't they just be happy? But of course that's not why you read Mr. Hardy. And I used to love it, knowing that bad ends were coming...because the words were so perfect. Maybe I'm just getting too something. I'm still holding out hope for the poems.

No comments: