Thursday, January 17, 2008

the built world

Some of my favorite feats of architecture:

Thorncrown Chapel
Designed by E. Fay Jones, opened in 1980
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Photobucket
I visited the chapel as a little kid, and it's the first structure that I remember being amazed by.

Kimball Art Museum
Designed by Louis Kahn, opened in 1972
Fort Worth, Texas
Photobucket
Photobucket
One of my favorite buildings in the world. It perfectly reflects the genius of Louis Kahn. I've spent many lovely days there.

The Eames House
Designed by Charles & Ray Eames, 1949
Pacific Palisades, California
Photobucket
Just because Charles and Ray were amazing. And the house has fantastic bookshelves.

Hungaria Palace Hotel
Architect unknown, 1905
Venice, Italy
Photobucket
I feel kinda silly choosing this (architecturally irrelevant) building when Venice has such amazing structural treasures. But this is where I stayed in my favorite city
and I really got to know it's crumbling old walls. It's very Death in Venice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i remember that church very very well.