Friday, January 11, 2008

variations on a theme

So one thing leads to another. I've already made very clear how much I loved the book The Gold Bug Variations by Richard Powers. I still haven't stopped thinking about it. I decided to listen to Bach's Goldberg Variations since they play such a role in the novel. I bought the 1955 Glenn Gould debut, and I've been listening to it (this is where my rambling on Bach will end because I am woefully uneducated about his music).

But: during the process of acquiring said Bach music, I discovered there is a book by Gabriel Josipovici titled The Goldberg Variations. Which is described as "a brilliant combination of fiction and philosophy - and an exhilarating homage to the genius and invention of J.S. Bach." And it is! Two weeks into 2008 and I may have already read a best of year candidate.

I'm going to read Poe's "The Gold Bug" because I love Edgar Allan.

No comments: