Sunday, January 13, 2008

fun with numbers

I've always been intimidated by math. Numbers seem so mysterious to me. I just started reading Why Beauty is Truth: A History of Symmetry by mathematician Ian Stewart.
Photobucket
And I suddenly wish I understood mathematics a whole lot better than I do. We'll see how I make it through the book. I'm only a few pages in, and so far I've gone off on tangents: Galois theory, abstract algebra, group theory. Focus focus. But I did totally understand the first page which contained these lines:

When old age shall this generation waste
Thous shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thous say'st,
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.

Naturally, with the Keats. And honestly, the reason I pulled the book off the shelf was that I saw the title and thought it was about Keats. Me and my literature-centric brain. Although if I had written a book about symmetry I would have quoted Conor Oberst for my epigraph:

How time can move both fast and slow
Amazes me
And so I raise my glass to symmetry
To the second hand and it's accuracy
To the actual size of everything
The desert is the sand

You can't hold it in your hand
It won't bow to your demands

- "I Believe in Symmetry"

No comments: